Monday, September 20, 2010

Back to School and the Rising Cock

It has been so long since I last wrote! I have been exceptionally busy: I started my classes at la Universidad de Cadiz on Sept. 15th and went to Lagos, Portugal this past weekend.

My first week of class has been going well. I have fallen absolutely in love with Historia de España. The class itself is so interesting that, unlike every other class I have had in that boiling hot room, I was completely conscious and my attention focused. It covers more recent history so I get to learn about the conquistadors as well as the European Union.

I am also taking Linguistics with an awesome professor. She is extremely knowledgeable and makes the class really fun. (On a side note, all this Spanish immersion has me thinking in Spanish and makes my English spelling rather crappy hence attempting to spell knowledgeable for ten minutes.) I am a person who is all about learning how things work and learning how words work will help my Spanish and my English immensely.

My Lengua class on Friday was less than satisfactory. My professor is an insane communist who went on a detailed description of a conspiracy theory where the CIA invented Facebook to spy on us after she failed to explain her definition of an editorial. I don't really like her and I am going to refrain from voicing my political opinions for the sake of my grade.

My two literature classes surprising consist of very little writing. I have projects and tests and a paper here and there, but the majority of my grade will not be graded on papers. That has its obvious ups and downs, but all my school talk is boring! I start my classes and get graded starting Wednesday.

This weekend was one of the best weekends I have ever had! We took a four hour bus ride to Lagos, Portugal and followed some random English guy to our hostel, "The Rising Cock." I shared a room with 11 other people that was called the Princess Room! So perfect for me. The walls had castles and flowers painted on them along with Cinderella holding a beer bong and a bottle of vodka. We arrived pretty late, around 9, and hung out for a bit before we went out.

The next day, I woke up early, had at least 7 crepes with nutella (yum!), and went exploring with the girls and Dan. We went around town and saw the beaches with gorgeous bluffs. We got back to the hostel and got ready for the booze cruise. We walked about 10 minutes to the Marina from the hostel and loaded onto a boat for a few hours with almost all of our friends and unlimited beer and (under-par) sangria. We jumped off the side of the boat into the clearest, bluest water and swam around. At first, I was scared to jump off the high rail because it was about 10 feet and then some with me standing. Heights scare me, but the adrenaline rush definitely outweighs the fear. We also got a grotto tour. It was absolutely breathtaking and our boat driver was a little insane. Think Jackie Chan's driving skills from "The Tuxedo" on a boat with giant rocks sticking out of the water. We also ate bocadillos on the most Southwestern part of Europe.





That night, we got back and Kristen and I went out and found Thai food. We ate so much and after we were finished, one of the workers was digging into his own plate of noodles and we were tempted to buy that too. The Thai food wasn't that great, but it definitely hit the spot. I can't wait until I get home and can have Racha! We came back around 7 and passed out until 10. I managed to rally and get ready in a couple of minutes. Kristen and I went to the bar and drank Shirley Temples! Some British guy bought us drinks- I had a cosmo. I forgot how much I missed Cranberry juice! We came home around 4 and then I woke up at 9 and ate a million more crepes.



Dmitri and I got some food and went shopping. We also hit the beach with Dan and took some pretty good photos. All in all, the weekend was very successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment